Andy Leach – Counsellor
Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Accredited Addictions Therapist at The Cabin Group
Clinical Lead for The Cabin Hong Kong and The Cabin Singapore Outpatient Centres
Andy Leach is a Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Addiction Therapist at The Cabin Group, as well as Clinical Lead for The Cabin Hong Kong and The Cabin Singapore Outpatient Centres. Since joining the team in 2011, he has been responsible for many of the organisation’s developments and innovations in Asia including:
- Launching and overseeing The Cabin Outpatient Centres in Hong Kong, Singapore, Dhaka and Sydney.
- Setting up and operating The Cabin Recovery House and creating an 18-group relapse prevention programme at The Cabin in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Facilitating at regular networking and education sessions for industry professionals in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Talking at the Singapore School Counsellor Association.
- Speaking at high-profile events across the region. He presented on gaming from a clinical perspective at the International Recovery Conference in Malaysia in June 2019 and is bringing The Cabin Group’s Digital Addiction Roadshow to Singapore in November 2019.
- Hosting visits by worldwide professional visitors to The Cabin Group’s rehabilitation centres in Asia and being a spokesperson in the media.
Andy’s expertise is also in demand outside of Asia. In Spring 2019, he co-presented a gaming addiction awareness tour in the UK alongside Cam Adair of GameQuitters.com. He visited some of the UK’s top independent boys’ schools addressing pupils and parents on problematic gaming, a disorder now officially recognised by the World Health Organisation.
Despite his recent background in mental health services, Andy has not always been involved in this line of work. After studying Sociology at Bristol University, he worked for five years at the Observer newspaper and then for Reed Publishing. From the age of 26, he was a film and television producer working with Mel Smith and Griff Rhys-Jones: two of Britain’s top comedians. He produced TV commercials, programmes and pop videos and was regularly seen schmoozing at the Cannes Film Festival!
With this wealth of experience, Andy went on to start his own production company, representing and producing for New York directors in the UK. The business was an immediate success, however addictions to drugs and alcohol were taking over and his life was heading out of control. Andy went through a period of 14 months in treatment.
He then returned to education and studied English Literature and Creative Writing, graduating with a first-class honours degree. In addition, he studied Counselling with the Westminster Pastoral Foundation and has a teaching qualification (TESOL). Andy also holds a Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice.
After his studies he joined the Royal Mencap Society as a Support Worker – working with clients with Asperger’s syndrome, Down’s syndrome, and Autism. Although the job was rewarding, he needed a new challenge, and at 47 years old rented out his house in the UK and went travelling to SE Asia where he is now happily settled in Chiang Mai with his family.
For more information or to speak with Andy please contact Natalie Clarke at Love PR London email [email protected] or call +44 (0)7796 675950
Back to top